Saturday, November 2, 2013

Butterfly Bakery Sugar Free/No Sugar Added Mini Muffins Review

Recently, I had the opportunity to try out mini muffins from The Butterfly Bakery for free in exchange for a review. The opinions expressed below are 100% honest and my own and I was under no obligation to write a positive review. Now, let's get started!


First, a little about the company:
Founder and CEO, Brenda Isaac, started off experimenting with sugar free desserts in 1998. Her purpose was to create baked goods that her diabetic mother could enjoy. It was a tough job because her mother was a baker and a tough critic, but one day, she finally said that it was perfect. Then, other family members and friends started to request for them and eventually, The Butterfly Bakery was born. You can find more info here.

Now, my review. 

I'll start with the 'No Sugar Added' mini blueberry muffins. According to the website, they are "packed with big fresh Maine wild blueberries" and they "use fresh fruit nectars, along with [their] signature blend of sweeteners including 100% natural Stevia" to sweeten them instead of sugar. Here's what I thought.
First of all, the scent. They had a delicious buttery, vanilla pound cake like scent, but I couldn't really smell the blueberry portion. They were soft and spongy and pretty moist. They were also really cute and bite size. They felt rich in my mouth, but the taste was somewhat bland in my opinion. The flavor was quite subtle and there was a buttery vanilla flavor, but it was weak or weaker than I would have liked/expected. There wasn't much of a blueberry flavor either and there weren't that many in the muffins themselves. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed and based on this tasting, I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps the chocolate one is better?


Now, the 'Sugar Free' mini double chocolate chip muffins. On the website, they say that they are "baked with a super rich dark chocolate and topped with semi sweet chips" and contain their "signature blend of sweeteners includ[ing] 100% natural Stevia". This is what I personally thought. 
They had a rich dark chocolate scent and weren't as soft as the blueberry ones. They were still pretty soft, but a bit dry. I appreciated that I could see real chocolate chunks on the top. Like the other one, the dark chocolate flavor in the cake part wasn't very strong, but the chocolate chips did help them. However, the chocolate chips are only on the top part of the muffin and not actually within/distributed throughout the muffin. Overall, I did enjoy them and they tasted pretty good, so I would recommend them if you were looking for something like this. 

Okay, well, that was my review! I hope you enjoyed it and I hope that it was helpful to you!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment