Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hair Shadz by Monimay, Inc.

I was recently given the opportunity to try Hair Shadz by Monimay, Inc. which is basically a sunscreen for your hair and scalp. While people are more aware of the sun's harmful rays, they typically don't think to put sunscreen on their hair or scalp. I was one of those people until I read about this product. Hair Shadz is designed to be a 3 in 1 revolutionary hair product that allows you to use it as a dry shampoo (which is used to absorb excess oil from your hair), blend in your roots if you color your hair, and protect your scalp.

About the company:



This company was founded by Monica May Sanders, an expert hair colorist who was frequently asked the questions, "What can I do for my oily scalp to prolong my hair style?" and "What can I do to cover my new hair roots in between colorings?" To answer those two questions, she created Hair Shadz which did both of those. In 1999, she lost her mother to malignant Melanoma, which started on her scalp. This caused her to update her product to include SPF and this is the product you see today.

Hair Shadz and Sun Shadz are endorsed by the International Melanoma Foundation, licensed with PETA, and have a Dermatology signature of approval.

Review:


To be honest, before this product, I didn't know that I had to protect my scalp from the sun because I assumed that my hair would protect it. However, this simply is not true. Researchers have proved that hair doesn't necessarily protect the scalp. So, I was pretty excited to try this out.

To use it, you simply pop off the cap, turn the silver part to 1, 2, or 3 and tap the brush on your hand. I found that the silver part was a bit hard to turn at first, but it gets easier. When you see the powder, you just start brushing it on your hair. It made my hair a bit messy, so I combed my hair a bit afterwards. I was a bit disappointed that some of it was attached to my comb and some was dusted on my hands. I wasn't too surprised because it is a powder, but I was hoping that it would stay on better. After brushing it on your hair, you turn the silver part back to 0. Then, you just take the tube and push it upwards (there is a video on how to use it on their website: www.monimay.com) and put the cap on again. It's really simple to use and I liked that, however, it's quite messy. I used it over my bathroom sink and since it's white, the black powder stained it and it wouldn't come off until I scrubbed at it. So, I would recommend you use it over the trash can, if you use it. I touched my hair for a few seconds to see if it would rub off on my fingers and it did. Therefore, if you use it, try not to touch it. Finally, if it gets on your clothes, it is quite hard to take off, so be very careful. The end result of the product was that it blended with the rest of my hair, provided sun protection for my scalp, and worked as a dry shampoo, but it also caused me a bit more work to clean up after it. This product is for all ages and comes in various colors to suit you. But, overall, I have to say that I wouldn't really recommend it because I think it's a bit too much maintenance for a hair product. Although, I really like the benefits, it's just too messy when applying and it doesn't stay on that well. But, if you do use it, I also want to say that I recommend you to shampoo twice because the first time, it got most of it off and the suds turned black/gray-ish and the second time, it seemed to be white. And, it does absorb your hair's natural oil, so don't use too much, or your hair will be tangled and dry.

I hope you enjoyed this review and I promise that more will be coming. If you have any questions, comment below and I'll try to answer the best that I can.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment